Cups O'Thoughts

     As Mackenzie already mentioned, this humble little space cast amongst the vast universe of the internets can be summed up as our space to divulge and post our uncensored thoughts and epiphanies of the like that we could never dare to relay onto the social networking site known as facebook. Like Mac, I've had my facebook account since 2006, (when-it-became-cool-for-us-Canadian-folk-to-join-onto-the-facebook-bandwagon) and as of late, I have felt like the love between us is gone. Zilch, "poof!", And we've been on a mutual break for the past few months such to the point that, I have started to feel the urge to see other social networking sites.......(*gasp!*) Is that so wrong? Really, is it?

     While I am a firm believer in monogamous relationships, I can't deny the attraction I am starting to feel for other sites. I know facebook would hate me if I ever told it that I just had an afternoon romp the other day with my old account on myspace. But I dare not say anything, for I fear it's wrath of random account de-activation. 

     With this being said, I must admit that facebook still has it's old perks. For instance, just today I was able to "friend" an individual whom I had just recently met at a real-life, (that's-how-you-know-we-are-living-in-the-world-of-web-2.0) social gathering last night. Did you hear that? Just last night! Marvel at the speed! He found me through the mutual friend who was pleasant enough to give me a ride to the aforementioned party. At first, I was reluctant to add on account of the fact that last night he had released some of the most bewildering pick up lines/tactics that I have ever had the displeasure of being the target of. I decided to cave into his friend add, because I thought he had some semblance of a great eye for custom fit leather jackets. Cost-Benefit-Analyzing-You-see?

     Even before my friend and I entered the house of which the party was being held, this guy ran out onto the street, intoxicated like no one I have ever seen before, and tackled myself and my friend. He then exclaimed that he was overjoyed to see my friend and the "bitch" she brought with her. I guess you could fairly assume, that he was not one for exchanging polite greetings.

     This was followed by a sequence of personal space-invading questions and actions at the veranda of the party host's home. At one point, "this guy" even sat on the armrest of the patio chair I was sitting in (much to my obvious discomfort) and leaned real close into my face and suggested that I get a haircut as the humidity wasn't helping the resolve of my "ethnic" hair. While such an exclamation from him unfortunately did arouse an instance of momentary hair reflection, it was quickly put to rest as my friend who took me to the party pulled me aside and told me that I had unofficially become the target for the group's "pick-up artist". Moreover, she went on to inform me, that "this guy" made it his mission at every group gathering to steer his way into the bosoms of whoever caught his fancy and that he would regularly employ tactics to initially insult his target, thereby lowering her conversational barriers to allow great space for him to make forcefully lay his hold over the target. 

     After this, the rest of the night became an endless game of him consistently (albeit indirectly) trying to put me down some way or the other, such to the extent that I stayed away from him altogether. I found myself amazed and distraught that pick-up lines were still in use by many males of my generation. Which begs the bigger question, of how far have we come since "hello....?" just wasn't enough? Frankly, I love when someone introduced his/herself with a "hello" rather than a "Hey, you should really get a haircut for your ethnic hair". Is it that much to ask for? 

This blogger leaves it to your interpretation.

-Heidi
Labels: , | edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment